January 28, 2013
by Abigail Adams Preschool
Brrrr! It’s cold outside!
Welcome / Upcoming Events
We extend a warm welcome to Cheryll Coveney, who is joining us as Educational Director. Ms. Cheryll joins the Abigail Adams Preschool community with much classroom and directorial experience.
We’d also like to welcome students Emily and Laura and their families to the Abigail Adams Preschool community.
We’re planning a potluck Valentine’s Day Party for February 14 at 2:00. Parents. grandparents, and siblings are all invited to share in the festivities. Please feel free to bring any sort of food, but please no nuts. If your child has allergies, please send him or her with a safe snack to eat.
Abigail Adams Preschool is holding an Open House on Wednesday, January 30 and Thursday, March 7. We’ll have activities for children and it’s a great opportunity for parents thinking about preschool to learn about our school and what we have to offer.
The children came back from vacation and enjoyed a special visit from the dentist, Sam, who showed us all the right way to brush our teeth. He explained why it’s important to brush and take good care of our dental health. We practice brushing our teeth each day after lunch. If you’d like to share your occupation, skill, or other information with the children, please let us know!
Nakia shared her family of pet snails with the class. We got to know the snails, who have names like Sophie and Beef, observing them and learning what they like to eat.
Our first birthday party of the year was very fun! We will be celebrating all the birthdays from each month on the last Friday of every month. Special thanks go to Nakia and Laura, who made delicious cupcakes, and Renee, who took a break from art school to do face painting.
Abigail Adams Preschool will be closed for the February 18 – 23 for vacation week.
- Beginning this February, our teachers will introduce the Spanish language to our students. Throughout the year, we will be learning greetings and polite phrases, words for independent skills, numbers and colors to name a few.
- We’re also bringing in a Montessori-inspired Grace & Courtesy program to Abigail Adams Preschool. Curriculum items include introducing one’s self, when to say please, and proper ways to interrupt a conversation.
- We’re continuing with Yoga with Miss Valerie on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 1:45.
- You can see our actual curriculum for Spanish, Grace and Courtesy, and Yoga in our Special Programs binder in the front office. Please feel free to review.
Ideas to support your child’s independence
- We can help children gain greater independence by providing them with items that suit their size and little hands. Appropriately sized school bags, child-manageable snack boxes, shoes and clothing help greatly in this regard.
- Due to limited space in the cubby area, may we request small pillows and blankets as well?
- Let your child bring in at least one change of clothes (more if they are “accident” prone). Elasticised waistbands without difficult belts or buckles would be great for the children’s independence and self esteem as they learn to manage themselves while using the toilet.
- Morning circles are an important part of the day where we introduce new materials / activities / songs and Grace and Courtesy lessons that help children develop pro-social skills. Please arrive in time for children to gain the benefits of morning circles.
- Please note that your child does not need to have a water bottle in school. We have drinking glasses and jugs of water for children throughout the day.
- We appreciate if your child is picked up on time at the end of the Full Day session. We have snack with the extended day children so that we can encourage polite conversations and table manners by being good role models. We would prefer not to have any child feeling “left out” or anxious while everyone else is having snack.
- Thanks to parents who reviewed and signed off the Parent Handbook. A printed copy is in the Front Office in the bookcase. Please feel free to review, sign and date your acceptance for the handbook if you have not already done so. Our Parent Handbook is available on our website or via email by request.
Slippers and lost property
As part of our Grace and Courtesy program, Abigail Adams Preschool asks that you you’re your child to school with a pair of soft soled shoes such as ballet slippers. Please leave your child’s indoor slippers in school every day. Labeling all your child’s property such as snack and lunch boxes, clothes, sunscreen bottles, shoes and slippers will help to avoid the accumulation of lost property.
Thank you for being part of the Abigail Adams Preschool community!